Bob Arum hopes to cement a fifth fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez for September

http://i0.wp.com/www.boxingnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/pac922.jpg?resize=448%2C220

Pacquiao suffered one of the most violent knockouts ever.

The promoter for Manny Pacquiao claims the eight-division titlist may throw fists with WBO “Champion of the Decade” Juan Manuel Marquez for a fifth time in September.

In their fourth savage affair on December 8, Pacquiao (54-5-2, 38 KOs) was rendered unconscious with a spectacular overhand right thrown by the 39-year-old Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KOs) at 2:59 of the sixth round.

Prior to the genuinely scary scene that saw the Filipino remain motionless on the canvas for several minutes, the 33-year-old Pacquiao had controversially earned a draw and two conquests over the ballooned Mexican since their initial meeting in May 2004.

“If that’s what the fighters want to do, come back for Pacquiao-Marquez V in September,” said Bob Arum, 81, a corruptible weasel who acknowledged during a 2000 federal trial that he bribed the International Boxing Federation (IBF) to attain a higher ranking for one of his fighters.

Pacquiao, who pocketed in excess of $20 million for what amounted to his second consecutive defeat, had floored Marquez in the fifth and was leading 47-46 on all three judges’ scorecards at the time of the knockout.

Roger “Pit” Perron is a venerable boxing trainer from Brockton (Mass.) who now works with Mike and Rich Cappiello at their gym, Cappiello Brothers Boxing and Training.

Perron predicted Marquez would trump Pacquiao earlier this month and contends “The Fighting Pride of the Philippines” would again fall to the curiously strong four-division world champ.

“I sense more trouble ahead for Pacquiao,” said Perron, 76, who worked in the 1980s with International Boxing Hall of Famer Marvelous Marvin Hagler at the Petronelli Brothers Gym. “There is too much friction in the Pacquiao camp and it may be time for Manny to look for a new trainer to replace Freddie Roach.”

It is highly doubtful that Pacquiao, voted “Fighter of the Decade” for the 2000s by the BWAA, will retire after suffering his first legitimate loss since bowing to Erik Morales in March 2005.

Sensing that Marquez, who is currently ranked by Ring Magazine as the third preeminent boxer today, was ready to be finished, Pacquiao unwisely fought in a frenzied manner during the last few minutes and the famed counterpuncher made him pay for being overly aggressive.

Unfortunately for Pacquiao, regardless of their three previous clashes, a single punch entirely shifted the overall competition and Marquez is presently winning their rivalry by lengths.

More worrisome for the Filipino congressman, it is hard to envision that Pacquiao will ever fully recover physically and psychologically from such a violent strike.

As local Boston legend Roger Perron aptly noted, “I sense more trouble ahead for (Manny) Pacquiao.”

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinby feather
rssby feather
This entry was posted in Boxing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply