In an utterly brilliant showing, legendary prizefighter Floyd Mayweather earned a unanimous decision victory over Robert Guerrero on Saturday night in front of 15,880 fans at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Dismissing concerns of aging, inactivity and a stint behind bars, Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs) used an impenetrable defense to keep Guerrero (31-2-1-2, 18 KOs) off balance and stinging jabs and right hands to bloody the outclassed challenger.
“We did it again,” said Mayweather, 36, who defeated Miguel Cotto to acquire the WBA (Super) & WBC Diamond light middleweight crowns in May 2012. “I was looking for the knockout but I hurt my hand. I feel bad I didn’t give the fans the knockout.”
Previously the winner of 16 consecutive bouts, Guerrero fell for the first time since losing via points to Gamaliel Diaz in December 2005.
“I landed some good shots on him,” said Guerrero, 30, who was detained in March at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and charged with illegal possession of an unloaded firearm. “He’s a great fighter. He’s slick and quick.”
A five-division, eight-belt capturer who was named The Ring “Fighter of the Year” in 1998 and 2007, Floyd Mayweather plans to scrap in September.
Continuing to defy Father Time with an incredible work ethic, the reigning pound-for-pound king will do “it again” and vacate the squared circle triumphant over some opponent this autumn.by