With their legal problems resolved outside of the courtroom, will Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao finally fight inside a squared circle?


At least Pacquiao and Mayweather briefly fought in court.

A week after federal judge Larry R. Hicks ordered Floyd Mayweather Jr. to pay Manny Pacquiao $113,518.50 worth of attorney fees for failing to attend a court-ordered deposition last year in Las Vegas to provide sworn testimony in a defamation lawsuit filed against him by the Filipino icon in 2009, the two superstars settled and agreed to make their own payments.

“The matter has been resolved,” said lawyer Malcolm LaVergne. “Any alleged terms of the resolution would be strictly confidential. Floyd Mayweather Sr is very happy that this lengthy case has finally come to a conclusion.”

The 33-year-old Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs), voted “Fighter of the Decade” for the 2000s by the BWAA, was suing Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) for allegedly claiming that the punching politician uses performance enhancing drugs.

Pacquiao, the first pugilist in history to win 10 world crowns in eight separate divisions, denied using dope and asserted that “Pretty Boy” and his flunkies embarked on a nasty smear campaign to destroy his career, legacy and reputation.

The 35-year-old Mayweather, an enormous talent who has captured nine world titles in five different weight classes, didn’t show his mug despite federal Magistrate Judge Robert Johnston’s ruling that mandated his presence.

Starting on June 1, Mayweather, the longstanding WBC welterweight king who last defeated powerful Puerto Rican icon Miguel Cotto by unanimous decision to gain the WBA world light-welterweight crown on Cinco de Mayo, served 63 days behind bars at the Clark County Detention Center for beating his former sweetheart two years ago while a couple of their children watched.

Roughly a month after Mayweather’s triumph over the extremely formidable Cotto (37-3, 30 KOs), incompetent judges allowed “Desert Storm” Timothy Bradley to unwittingly steal Pacquiao’s belt with an asinine split decision on June 9 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

It was widely believed “The Fighting Pride of the Philippines” would exercise his rematch clause and throw fists with “Desert Storm” this autumn.

However, despite the recommendation made by a five-member international judging panel for the WBO, Pacquiao instead decided to fistfight Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time on December 8 in “Sin City.”

In contrast, Mayweather, named The Ring “Fighter of the Year” in 1998 and 2007, has yet to make any future plans.

Rumors recently surfaced that Pacquiao and the convicted domestic abuser planned on battling each other twice in 2013.

Roger “Pit” Perron is a venerable boxing trainer from Brockton (Mass.) who now works with Mike and Rich Cappiello at their gym, Cappiello Brothers Boxing and Training.

Perron predicts that Mayweather, a 1996 bronze medalist who already owned a decent rap sheet from convictions on battery and assault in 2002 and 2005, would outclass Pacquiao in a match.

“Nobody will ever beat Floyd until he retires,” said Perron, 75, who worked in the 1980s with International Boxing Hall of Famer Marvelous Marvin Hagler at the Petronelli Brothers Gym. “If Floyd and Manny ever get together, mortgage the house on Mayweather.”

From afar, the decision by boxing’s pound-for-pound royalties to resolve their differences outside of a courtroom would seem to bode well for their chances to clash inside of a squared circle.

Unfortunately, once aptly referred to by famed writer Jimmy Cannon as “the red light district of sports” due to its rogue nature, prizefighting is the most unappreciative form of athletics.

Therefore, expect Floyd Mayweather’s ongoing saga with Manny Pacquiao to ultimately end without “a conclusion” or winner.

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinby feather
rssby feather
This entry was posted in Boxing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply